In what ways could Wallace's theory be applicable to Their Eyes Were Watching God?

David Foster Wallace's 'This is Water' and Zora Neale Hurston's 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' are at times quite similar. The default setting that Wallace describes in 'This is Water' is similar to the way Hurston describes Janie's emotion while she is married to Joe. She is forced to stay at home or at the shop, while Joe is working as mayor of Eatonville. While there is no mention of routine, Hurston does describe Janie feeling like she does not know where the last twenty years went, which is similar to the automatic or default setting that Wallace describes in his text. And you can assume that a contributing factor to this feeling, would be the fact that every day Janie is doing the same thing. When you are stuck in a constant routine, your grasp of time tends to get weaker and weaker the longer it goes on for.
In terms of empathy and emotional intelligence, at times it is quite difficult to empathize with characters in Their Eyes Were Watching God, seeing as I am a white male from Iceland, living in 2018. However, while I may not be able to relate to the emotions and events that Janie and these other characters go through, the novel is so well written that you are able to imagine yourself in their shoes. So by reading the novel, and trying to picture myself in these situations, I felt I was able to better myself as a person, and develop my emotional intelligence, by realizing how lucky I am to be in the situation I am now. In terms of 'This is Water' I was able to relate to the emotions he was describing, and I am happy that I read the text, as I would never have thought about turning my default setting off.
Both of these texts have, to an extent, an empowering effect on the reader, by showing characters and examples who have overcome the standard adversity of the times. In 'Their Eyes Were Watching God', it was common for women to feel trapped by their husbands, and the social constructs of the world. While in 'This is Water', this default setting is something that is simply a part of adult life in the 21st century. So, by telling people that they have a choice, they feel empowered and inspired to use it to better themselves.

Comments

  1. "Hurston does describe Janie feeling like she does not know where the last twenty years went, which is similar to the automatic or default setting that Wallace describes in his text." I really do love this connection that you made to the text and the commencement speech. It is clever! I really do enjoy how you added your personal touch in your blog. Very good blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the argument made about the applicability of Wallace's theory in TEWWG. However, further explanation on how the novel may strengthen one's emotional intelligence may have benefited your post. I agree with the similar idea of a 'routine' expressed through both texts, and how only some reader groups may be able to empathetically relate to Janie's character.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 1 - Bio

Okonkwo Character Analysis